Triathletes need a watch that can track a wide range of sports and training activities. However, some Garmin watches can be found in some Garmin watches that can improve these basic knowledge and provide specific triathlon functions. Triathletes need a watch that can record transitions, time, distance and GPS accuracy at an expert level, and Garmin can provide all of these and more.
Since there are many multifunctional sports watches, what is the best Garmin triathlon watch?
In terms of advanced performance tracking functions, Garmin Fenix 5 Plus is the best GPS triathlon watch.
This watch has a special function that can respond to fitness activities in a special triathlon mode, which is very useful for triathletes who often participate in multiple sports activities and competitions.
This guide provides you with a detailed survey of the 5 best Garmin triathlon watches. The functionality and accessibility and comfort of each watch are different, so it will also include comments on the fitness level that each watch is more suitable for. Read on to learn more about the best Garmin watches for casual and professional triathlon athletes, and discover which Garmin watch is best for triathlon competitions
Garmin Fenix 5 Plus
|View on Amazon→|
Garmin Forerunner 945
|View on Amazon →|
Garmin Forerunner 735XT
|View on Amazon→|
Garmin Forerunner 245
|View on Amazon→|
Garmin Fenix 6 Pro Solar
|View in On Amazon→|
Garmin Forerunner 935
|View on Amazon→|
- 1 The best Garmin triathlon watch (updated in 2021)
- 2 Garmin Fenix 5 Plus
- 3 <img loading=”lazy” class=”alignnone size-full wp-image-2733″ src=”https://bestgpstech.com/wp-content/uploads/ 2020/12/garmin-forerunner-945.jpg” alt=” Garmin Forerunner 945" width =" 600" height =" 600" />
- 4 Garmin Forerunner 945
- 5 <img loading=”lazy” class=”alignnone size-full wp-image-2408″ src=”https://bestgpstech.com/wp-content/uploads/ 2020/11/garmin-735xt-watch-review.jpg” alt=” Garmin Forerunner 735XT comment "width="600"height="600" />
- 6 Garmin Forerunner 735XT
- 7 <img loading=”lazy” class=”alignnone size-full wp-image-2781″ src=”https://bestgpstech.com/wp-content/uploads/ 2020/12/garmin-forerunner-245.jpg” alt=” Garmin Pioneer 245 "width=" 600" height=" 600" />
- 8 Garmin Forerunner 245
- 9 <img loading=”lazy” class=”alignnone size-full wp-image-2659″ src=”https://bestgpstech.com/wp-content/uploads/ 2020/11/garmin-fenix-6-pro-solar.jpg” alt=” Garmin Fenix 6 Pro Solar "width="600"height="600" />
- 10 Garmin Fenix 6 Pro Solar
- 11 <img loading=”lazy” class=”alignnone size-full wp-image-2784″ src=”https://bestgpstech.com/wp-content/uploads/ 2020/12/garmin-forerunner-935-tri-watch.jpg” alt=” garmin pioneer 935 tri watch "width="600" height="600" />
- 12 Garmin Forerunner 935
- 13 Which Garmin triathlon watch is the best?
- 14 Triathlon Watch Buyer’s Guide
- 15 Which Garmin watch is best for triathlon competitions
- 16 What watch does the professional triathlete use?
- 17 Is Garmin Venu good for triathlon?
- 18 Do I need a triathlon watch
- 19 How to use Garmin watch for triathlon
- 20 What is the most accurate Garmin running watch?
- 21 Final thoughts on the best Garmin triathlon watch
- 22 Other GPS triathlon watches worth considering:
The best Garmin triathlon watch (updated in 2021)
What can Garmin watches provide for triathlons? The answer is many. Some Garmin watches have multiple sports performance and health tracking functions. But for triathletes, this is not always enough. Not to mention, the basic multifunctional sports watch may not always be able to easily track, measure and evaluate the comparison between different activities
Each of these 5 featured watches can accurately track the miles and distance covered, detailed performance indicators for various fitness and health categories (including sleep), and through Garmin Connect apps (such as Garmin Pay) With useful features and enhanced performance tracking features, you can easily compare various activities.
Since each watch is different in terms of battery power and GPS functionality, the process of choosing the most suitable triathlon watch for you depends on the type of activity you will primarily do with the watch. However, if you are primarily engaged in at most two activities or a full triathlon, each model can provide top-notch performance tracking. In addition, some of these watches also have convenient game tracking functions. Let's take a closer look at each watch
In my experience, Garmin Fenix 5 is the holy grail of triathlon watches. This watch is not only a multifunctional sports watch, but also the most convenient triathlon watch in the Garmin series. Fenix 5 is equipped with a complete training function which can help you monitor your status and performance. Enhanced readings for training status and training effects show the aerobic and anaerobic benefits of exercise in different sports and activities
The VO2 max estimator processes data, including running, swimming, and cycling speed, heart beats per minute, and heart rate variability to estimate the maximum amount of oxygen that can be consumed per minute. Other applicability indicators include a recovery consultant with a recovery timer and recovery check, and a speed predictor that estimates the ideal completion time based on the current maximum number of VO2. No matter what sport you want to track, Fenix 5 covers built-in multi-sport activity profiles and performance indicators as well as smart notifications.
- Advanced multi-sport GPS watch with technology to enhance the heart rhythm of the wrist
- Rugged and durable design suitable for outdoor activities, with stainless steel bezel, buttons and back cover
- Put key statistics at your fingertips using the performance widget, which shows the effect and progress of your exercise
- Networking features include smart notifications, automatic upload to the Garmin Connect online fitness community, and the ability to personalize settings through the free watch faces and apps in the Connect IQ store
- Outdoor sensors, including GPS and GLONASS satellite reception and a 3-axis compass with gyroscope and barometric altimeter, very suitable for triathletes
- The speed calculation function may be unstable
<img loading=”lazy” class=”alignnone size-full wp-image-2733″ src=”https://bestgpstech.com/wp-content/uploads/ 2020/12/garmin-forerunner-945.jpg” alt=” Garmin Forerunner 945" width =" 600" height =" 600" />
Garmin Forerunner 945, with its excellent triathlon ready function, is also located on the top of the selection bracket. Whether you want to train for a marathon or for a longer period of time, you can create your own custom exercises, or download free exercises, which can be synchronized directly with your watch. Forerunner 945 also supports the Garmin Coach adaptive training program, which is a great way to gain further guidance or motivation for multi-sport activities
As part of the training plan, it can even help you predict the time of the game and provide many different types of activities. It has an estimated wrist-based heart rate and a wrist-based pulse oxygen sensor that monitors blood oxygen saturation to support advanced sleep monitoring and high adaptation
You can even view the overall training load, which can measure the amount of exercise in the last 7 days and compare it with the best range that suits your health and recent training history. Another advantage is that this Garmin watch is equipped with a convenient music storage function, which can bring greater excitement, rather than you engage in an activity or a fierce triathlon competition
- Advanced GPS operation/Triathlon smart watch with music
- Download songs to your watch, including playlists from Spotify, Amazon Music or Deezer
- Performance monitoring functions include Vo2 Max and training status, and can adjust calories, high adaptation status, training load concentration, recovery time, and aerobic and anaerobic training effects
- The full-color airborne map will guide your running, so that you will never get lost during the exercise.
- Security and tracking features include event detection in selected activities, and your real-time location can be sent to emergency contacts via a paired compatible smartphone.
- When running various functions and music, the battery life will quickly run out.
- Bluetooth connection is sometimes unstable
<img loading=”lazy” class=”alignnone size-full wp-image-2408″ src=”https://bestgpstech.com/wp-content/uploads/ 2020/11/garmin-735xt-watch-review.jpg” alt=” Garmin Forerunner 735XT comment "width="600"height="600" />
Garmin Forerunner 735XT is also a reliable choice for triathletes. This multi-sport GPS running watch has a wrist-based heart rate tracking function, so you can run freely on the day of the race. To get advanced running power, VO2 max and more, please add a chest strap and train your heart.
The most important thing is that these functions are compatible in a variety of sports activities. Whether you are training for the first 5k or the first marathon, we have a training plan that suits you. With professional knowledge, we have developed various 12-week training programs suitable for all levels and distances. For real-time guidance, you can even schedule an exercise plan and send it to the Forerunner 735XT.
Forerunner 735XT is not the most advanced Garmin triathlon watch, but innovative features and first-class racing dynamics will meet the effective needs of triathlon.
- GPS running watch with multiple sports functions
- Estimate the heart rhythm of your wrist so that you can run freely on the day of the race. The battery life in smart watch mode is up to 11 days. GPS mode is up to 14 hours. UltraTrac mode is up to 24 hours without wrist heart rate
- Provides advanced power for running, cycling and open water swimming, including ground contact time balance, stride length, vertical ratio, etc.
- Provide maximum VO2 estimate, lactate threshold (when used with chest strap heart rate monitor), race predictor and recovery consultant
- With intelligent notification, automatic upload to Garmin Connect, real-time tracking and other functions
- Optical heart rate sensor is prone to burrs
<img loading=”lazy” class=”alignnone size-full wp-image-2781″ src=”https://bestgpstech.com/wp-content/uploads/ 2020/12/garmin-forerunner-245.jpg” alt=” Garmin Pioneer 245 "width=" 600" height=" 600" />
Garmin Forerunner 245 is a bit similar to Forerunner 945, but the benefits of triathletes are decent enough and the price is slightly lower. For triathletes, Forerunner 245 provides personalized training and recovery insights to make more informed training decisions to help you prepare for the next race.
It will record your VO2 max and understand how heat and altitude affect your performance. The higher the maximum VO2 maximum, the higher the effect you expect to perform, which is exactly what the performance condition indicators show. Training status will evaluate your recent exercise history and performance indicators to let you know whether you are performing productive training, reaching the top or overtraining.
Through aerobic and anaerobic training effect feedback, you can see how exercise affects the development of endurance, speed and strength. The Forerunner 245 watch also provides the tools needed to improve the training style. The watch measures key running indicators such as cadence, stride length, ground contact time and balance, vertical vibration and vertical ratio. These measurements are the key to understanding your form, so you can show your talents in every sporting activity and every game.
<img loading=”lazy” class=”alignnone size-medium wp-image-2783″ src=”https://bestgpstech.com/wp-content/uploads/ 2020/12/garmin-running-dynamics-pod-300×300.jpg” alt=” garmin running dynamics pod "width="300" height="300" />
In addition, your Forerunner 245 music can start tracking these indicators by adding a compatible heart rate strap or a compact Running Dynamics Pod which can be clipped directly to your belt. With guidance from expert coaches and a free training program that suits you and your goals, this is a foolproof way to reach the end. As part of the training plan, it can even help you predict the time of the match.
What should you do when you want to switch? Forerunner 245 also has a triathlon-friendly activity profile that can be used for cycling, swimming in the pool, indoor rowing, and even for elliptical machines or stair steppers. Forerunner 245 is a good choice
- Evaluate your current training status to indicate whether you are under training or over training; provide other performance monitoring functions
- Get a free adaptive training program from Garmin instructors, or create your own custom workout in our Garmin Connect online fitness community
- Security and tracking features include event detection (during selected events), which can send your real-time location to emergency contacts via a paired compatible smartphone.
- GPS synchronization may fail
- The heart rate monitor is also prone to glitches
<img loading=”lazy” class=”alignnone size-full wp-image-2659″ src=”https://bestgpstech.com/wp-content/uploads/ 2020/11/garmin-fenix-6-pro-solar.jpg” alt=” Garmin Fenix 6 Pro Solar "width="600"height="600" />
If you like to do triathlons outdoors and want a watch that can use the energy of the sun to extend battery life, then Garmin Fenix 6 Pro Solar is your ideal choice . This watch does not have any restrictions on the distance you can train, and includes other functions to track performance indicators in high altitude areas. Its unique power supply function can extend battery life, so you will have more wrist time to enjoy the watch's color mapping, music streaming and other improvements.
The pioneering pace of each feature helps keep your pace strategy on track and provides level-adjusted guidance as you run the course. You can even pre-load topographic and ski maps for more than 2,000 ski resorts around the world. Other highlights include enhanced wrist heart rate, smart notifications (when paired with a compatible smartphone), pulse oximetry, Garmin Pay contactless payment, etc.
This watch is designed for all-day wear, making it the ultimate watch for triathletes. In addition, a customizable power manager mode allows you to view and control how various settings and sensors affect battery life. There is even a new expedition mode that provides an ultra-low power GPS mode that will last for several weeks.
In essence, this is the best Garmin watch for triathletes who spend a few hours outdoors and prefer to train outside the grid.
- A solar multi-function GPS watch with a 1.4-inch large display, which uses the energy of the sun to extend battery life and ensure that your off-grid activities have longer wrist time
- Equipped with a durable and precise watch with a 1.3-inch display and a titanium alloy, stainless steel or DLC coated bezel
- Now, the upgraded activity profile allows you to track more information, such as special grit and flow measurement when mountain biking
- Get improved performance data to help you endure difficult challenges, including adapting 2.0 widgets to analyze other data and see how your body can withstand the current altitude
- Use pre-loaded TOPO maps, ski maps of 2,000 ski resorts worldwide, support for multiple global navigation satellite systems (GPS, GLONASS and Galileo) and built-in sensors for 3-axis compass, gyroscope and barometric altimeter, Navigating outdoors
- Solar energy technology specifically requires a lot of outdoor activities
<img loading=”lazy” class=”alignnone size-full wp-image-2784″ src=”https://bestgpstech.com/wp-content/uploads/ 2020/12/garmin-forerunner-935-tri-watch.jpg” alt=” garmin pioneer 935 tri watch "width="600" height="600" />
Last but not least is the Garmin Forerunner 935, as an honorary award. The advantage of Forerunner 935 is that, with the help of built-in activity profiles, running (indoor/outdoor), cycling (indoor/outdoor), swimming (pool/open water), cross-country skiing, paddling, cross-country running, hiking, strength training and so on. For brick training and du/triathlon competitions, the automatic multi-sport function allows you to switch sports with the push of a button
Forerunner 935 will help you monitor your training and recovery in order to better prepare for the game or training cycle. Training status is a vital performance monitoring tool for triathletes. It can automatically evaluate your recent exercise history and performance indicators to let you know whether you are doing fruitful training, reaching the peak or exceeding the limit. The anaerobic training effect metric opens a window of insight into the key dimensions of training, because it helps to measure muscle tension or pressure and the dynamics of muscle exercise
This advanced GPS running/triathlon watch can help you fine-tune your training and recovery capabilities to become a better athlete. For your competitors, it has useful real-time footage of Strava, so you can turn every run or ride into a virtual race. Forerunner 935 also has smart notifications for custom watch faces and applications, automatic upload and Connect IQ compatibility.
For me, the most prominent feature is that Strava and Strava Premium members can synchronize running and cycling segments to their 935 for real-time feedback during the event. In addition, you will receive alerts about the start and end of the audience segment, check the ranking of the leaderboard, and see how your current workload compares with your PR. Pioneer 935 is the ideal choice for triathletes.
- A comfortable watch worn all day provides advanced running and multi-sport functions, and weighs only 49 grams
- Provides altitude changes through the built-in barometer; an altimeter and electronic compass can help you maintain your bearing
- Assess your training status to indicate whether you are under training or over training, and provide other performance monitoring functions
- Provides advanced power for running, cycling and open water swimming, including ground contact time balance, stride length, etc.
- Swimming performance tracking analysis may be malfunctioning
Which Garmin triathlon watch is the best?
Each watch mentioned above is effective for triathletes, but I found that based on the convenience provided, Garmin Fenix 5 is the best overall. Garmin Fenix 5 is designed with the needs of users in mind, and they want to know that their smartwatch will be able to maintain extensive performance statistics related to triathlon competitions when needed.
This can be measured with updated and improved functions that can measure cadence, ground contact time, stride length, and all functions synchronized with accurate heart rate readings and performance statistics. Fenix 5 aims to attract various fitness activities. This includes innovative and detailed activity profiles for open water swimming, running, cycling and triathlons, all of which are part of the profile selection you can pick from this watch.
If you want to have some ideas to change your fitness habits, this watch also includes a series of suggestions. Each of these watches will provide excellent results, but Fenix 5 surpasses and is likely to be the typical Garmin watch for triathletes
Triathlon Watch Buyer’s Guide
When buying a Garmin triathlon watch, please keep the following key details in mind:
- Fitness level. G armin specializes in custom-made watches for beginners, intermediate and advanced levels of comprehensive sports. For example, if you only start a session that runs daily, you don’t need a triathlon race, and vice versa. Be sure to check the design applicability level of the watch.
- Comfortable. Normally, you may not think of a watch as an uncomfortable accessory, but when you are strenuous exercise like triathlon, this kind of watch can and does change. Most Garmin GPS watches are designed with silicone straps to avoid skin discomfort when sweating, but some watches use leather or even metal. Make sure to get the right watch that suits your comfort level
- Function. Indeed, almost all Garmin watches you choose will have a basic level of performance and GPS tracking capabilities. For triathlon competitions outdoors (especially in the wild), GPS protocols like GLONASS and Galileo will be very useful. Heart rate monitors are the industry standard for fitness-oriented smart watches. Make sure you check the specifications of each watch to make sure it has what you want.
- Price. Garmin smart watches are some of the best watches in the fitness tracking industry. The price points of all different series and models may also vary widely. The price of entry-level watches is usually lower, while the price of more advanced and feature-rich watches can be as high as hundreds of dollars. Know your fitness level and make the best decision based on the watch you need to buy. If you are looking for a Garmin watch for triathlon, the price may be different
- Check the triathlon settings. You can use this guide to help ensure you get the triathlon of the Garmin watch. But make sure to always make sure that the triathlon setting is in the event profile before purchasing. This setting is not mandatory, but it will make the triathlon experience more convenient.
No need to pay for features you don’t use temporarily.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which Garmin watch is best for triathlon competitions
Garmin has many GPS Multi-sport watch, but the best is Garmin Fenix 5 Built-in triathlon mode can accurately track the performance of triathletes in swimming, outdoor and indoor cycling and all forms of running. Specifications Triathlon The mode can capture important information about triathletes, including critical transition times.
What watch does the professional triathlete use?
Professional triathletes usually look for a watch with an overall excellent performance tracking function. However, adding a model to the watch that can track the performance of multiple activities (such as running, open-water swimming, cycling and other various sports) is a key selling point. In addition, any function that allows the competition is ideal for professional triathletes
Is Garmin Venu good for triathlon?
Garmin Venu series of watches are suitable for iron man Triathlon training. When using it as a multi-sport watch, the Venu watch cannot perform swimming tracking well; the tracking function of this model cannot be calibrated and report accurate information because it is underwater, so another Garmin triathlon The watch is better than Garmin Vinu
Do I need a triathlon watch
You don't necessarily need a triathlon watch, and there are no watches sold specifically for triathlon use. However, to have a watch that can track a wide variety of multi-sport activities with health statistics, performance indicators and even game tracking, the investment in these tools alone is worth the investment
How to use Garmin watch for triathlon
If you own a Garmin watch with a triathlon mode, such as a Garmin Fenix 5, the first step is to make sure that any sensors you may be wearing are paired with the watch. Make sure to let the watch scan for the appropriate GPS signal in your area; after this is done, you can choose the activity you want to complete, or use the triathlon mode only when possible. If you enable conversions, these conversions will be recorded separately. Use the lap button to resume or select a new activity to record. When finished, select Save.
What is the most accurate Garmin running watch?
GPS accuracy is very important for triathlon , And the Garmin Forerunner series is one of the series with the highest GPS accuracy in the Garmin series. The Garmin Forerunner 945 GPS accuracy in Garmin Connect App innovative performance tracking indicators and no Seam notifications have always won high praise. GPS accuracy when tracking multi-sport activities outdoors Garmin Fenix 5 and Garmin Fenix 6 Pro Solar are reliable choices for synchronizing GPS accuracy in multiple triathlon activities.
Final thoughts on the best Garmin triathlon watch
This guide explores some of the best Garmin watches for triathletes. These 5 smart watches have innovative features that can track health statistics, performance indicators, and many other features through the Garmin Connect app. Garmin Fenix 5 is the best in this guide, its powerful battery and a series of advanced performance features including incredible triathlon mode selection
Having said that, any of these watches will make your triathlon training richer and more interesting. Garmin Fenix 5 and Fenix 6 Pro Solar are the most suitable for outdoor use in terms of battery performance and have all the fancy features.
Other GPS triathlon watches worth considering:
Garmin is not the only brand trained and tracked by triathletes. Check out the following other well-known multi-sport watches: